The Portsmouth Cemetery Committee cares and maintains the follwing cemeteries
in Portsmouth NH:
North Cemetery - est. 1753
Located on Maplewood Avenue
Established in 1753 on land purchased from John Hart and is the second
oldest burying ground in the city. Many historically significant people
for the state of New Hampshire and the Revolutionary War rest here including
General William Whipple (a friend of George Washington and General during
the Revolutionary War), Hall Jackson, Prince Whipple, and Governor John
Pleasant Street Cemetery - est. 1754
Located on Pleasant Street. This small cemetery contains many sea captains
and privateers from Portsmouth's extensive maritime history.
View individual gravestone photos at gravematter.com
Point of Graves - est. 1671
Established in 1671 on land deeded to the town by Capt. John Pickering.
Located on Mechanic Street next to the Prescott Park planting beds and
overlooking the Piscataqua River. No gravestones survivied previous to
1682 because Capt. Pickering's cattle was allowed to continue grazing
among the gravestones after the burying ground was established.
It contains some of the finest examples of early gravestone artistry
by many Massachusetts sculptors including Bostonians William Mumford,
a Quaker; Nathaniel Emmes; John Homer; and the carver known only by his
initials “JN” (possibly the silversmith John Noyes). Other
carvers include brothers Caleb and Nathaniel Lamson and possibly their
father and mentor, Joseph, of Charlestown; James Foster of Dorchester;
and John Hartshorne and Joseph Mullicken of Haverhill.
*Download a self-guiding tour brochure of the highlights of this burying ground in PDF Format
Point of Graves Tour Color Brochure
Point of Graves Tour Black & White Brochure
Union Cemetery - est. 1847
Although formally established in 1847, there are a few burials that date
back twenty years before. The formal design of rectangular plots, park
setting and central path shows the beginning evolution from unorganized
burying grounds to formal cemeteries. The use of white marble and limestone
and more monumental and greecian influenced gravestones contrasts the
neighboring North Cemetery, with is slate and Puritan influence. Some
of its inhabitants include wealthy shipping merchants and ship builders
who's shipyards and mansions were once located in this area on the North
Mill Pond. Located on Maplewood Avenue to the right of the North Cemetery.